The 14th Dalai Lama, his Holiness, Tenzin Gyatso, was born on July 6, 1935, to a peasant household in northeastern Tibet. At the age of two, he was proclaimed as his predecessor’s reincarnation after accurately figuring out a number of objects that belonged to the thirteenth Dalai Lama.
The title of Dalai Lama is given to the foremost non secular chief of the Gelug faculty of Tibetan Buddhism. The 14th Dalai Lama fled to India disguised as a soldier in 1959 after a failed Tibetan rebellion towards Chinese rule. He since then has lived in exile in Himachal Pradesh’s Dharmshala.
As he turns 87 right now, we check out some lesser-known info concerning the 14th Dalai Lama:
- Though from Tibet, the household of the 14th Dalai Lama didn’t converse the Tibetan language. Instead, they spoke a modified model of a Chinese dialect spoken within the western provinces of China.
- The 14th Dalai Lama is the longest-reigning and longest-living amongst all his predecessors.
- He was enthroned because the Dalai Lama on February 22, 1940, at a ceremony in Lhasa, the capital of the autonomous Tibet area that’s now a part of China.
- He has obtained a collection of awards for his work for world peace concord, together with a Nobel Prize in 1989.
- The Dalai Lama had a eager curiosity in science since childhood. During his youthful days, he beloved repairing watches and vehicles in his spare time. In his interview, the Dalai Lama stated that had he not been raised as a monk, he in all probability would have determined to be an engineer.
- According to his official web site, Dalai Lama wakes at 3 AM and meditates until 5 AM, after which he takes a brief morning stroll across the residential premises. His Holiness sometimes has a breakfast of porridge and tsampa, conventional barley flour and spends the morning studying Buddhist texts, earlier than holding audiences within the afternoon.